Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Friday, August 14, 2009

Hooked on Easy, Low-Cost Window Treatments

I’m joining Julia at Hooked on Houses again for Hooked on Fridays. We’ve lived in our current home for three and half years and just last week I finally got around to finding window treatments for the last two bare windows. This large window in the front of the house has nice wide blinds so my goal was for a more decorative treatment rather than one to provide privacy. Here’s what it looked like before:

IMG_1751

And now after:

IMG_2461

It’s amazing how something so simple can make the room more complete and cozy! I had actually tried to find fabric to make a valance last year but could never find anything just right. Then just recently it finally occurred to me that simple brown faux silk panels were the way to go. I was able to get these 96” panels at JCPenney for $60 for the pair. Instead of doing one long rod, I used the shortest rods I could find, one on each side of the window. I found the rods at Lowe’s for about $9 each. Hubby actually cut a few inches off of each one to make them even shorter.

IMG_2471

I left the length long and they’re pooling at the bottom, I’m still undecided on this:

IMG_2475 The next window I tackled was the one in our office/my craft room. Here’s what it looked like before:

Office after2We just recently got new vinyl windows in all our bedrooms, and I wanted to show them off, plus the mini blinds were really getting on my nerves. Since this window looks out into our backyard, I have no problem keeping it uncovered, so I decided a valance would be the best solution. I had an unused bed skirt made out of the same tiger fabric that the chairs are upholstered with, so I re-purposed it and made a valance. Of course I couldn’t find a black tension rod so I had to buy a white one and spray paint it black.

IMG_2465Now I have a beautiful unobstructed view into the backyard and lots of natural light for my crafting!

**********************************************************

My DIY Hotel Room Key Jewelry was featured on One Pretty Thing’s Daily DIY on Thursday! I love this website, so check it out when you get a chance!

oneprettything

19 comments:

  1. Great improvement! I'm almost always NOT a fan of separate rods, but yours, I love. Job well done, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they both look awesome..amazes me how much it changed the effect of each room..great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of the window treatments look fabulous. Love the colors. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. They really make your dining room look great. Our designer friend say that blinds are great (as long as they are pulled all the way up).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new window treatments look great ... I love the look of them pooling onto the floor. Your floors are gorgeous, too! Congrats on the OPT feature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great window treatment in the dining room. I didn't even notice the chairs in front of the window till I looked at the "after" picture. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, the room was lovely but the draperies finish it so well, cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That valance from a bed skirt is so smart! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The window treatments were just the finishing the dining room needed! They look great. Nice that they were inexpensive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choice on the colors! They look stunning! I love how they puddle on the floor too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with Rachelle, I didn't even notice the chairs, now they POP!

    The natural light coming through in your office/craft room make it look bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fantastic and I happen to love curtains that puddle on the floor :). And I'm totally jealous that you have a craft room! We have an office but there's no room for craftiness in there. It's all business. I'm currently transforming my broom closet into a craft closet. Who needs brooms anyhow?

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are two wonderful projects, I love them. I would never have thought to use double panels just as side treatments - you're right, the room does look so much more finished. And the tension rod is a very clever solution for your office.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by! I REALLY like your home office. It's exactly what I want to do with mine. Did you build the desk and shelf units yourself? I think I'll use your picture as inspiration if that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job! Love your color choice it looks very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. there is no doubt that windows can make or break a room! Love em

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, thanks so much for the mention! That was so nice to stumble upon as I read your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a HUGE difference! They look great.

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea for a bedskirt valance! I would like yours even better if it were hung about 6 inches higher. It would make the window look bigger. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails