Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Friendly Ghost Candle Shades

Today I’m sharing another one of my projects that was inspired by something I saw in a local gift store. 

I started with some thrift store/garage sale glass shades.  I spent $3.25 total on all four of these.  The boutique version was selling for $15 each!IMG_1865And ended up with these cute ghost candles: IMG_1907

I’ve seen a couple versions of these lately, but here’s how I made mine. 

~Clean and dry your glass shades.  If you can’t find any at thrift stores or garage sales, you may be able to find some at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

~Using a foam brush, apply a layer of Modge Podge to the inside of the shade.

IMG_1869

~Sprinkle fine iridescent glitter over the modge podge while it is still wet. IMG_1870

I used this “Glamour Dust” by DecorArt that I bought at an estate sale last year, but any fine glitter will do.   IMG_1872

~I was lucky enough to have access to a Cricut, so I had my friend cut out oval shapes from black vinyl for the eyes and mouth.  You could also do this freehand or paint on your face.

IMG_1873

~Apply the vinyl decals to the outside of the glass shade to make the ghost’s eyes and mouth.

IMG_1877

~Now it would be cute just like that, but of course I had to add a little bow with some colorful ribbon I already had.  Just tie it right around the top of the shade.

IMG_1879

~Set a votive candle or battery-operated votive under the shade and you’re done!

IMG_1881

Such a fun centerpiece or Halloween accent for any spot in your home!  I haven’t pulled out all my Halloween decorations yet, but when I do these will be so cute all together as an arrangement or used individually around the house.

IMG_1892IMG_1907IMG_1911IMG_1908

IMG_1913 Gotta love the glitter!IMG_1905IMG_1906IMG_1909IMG_1912Hard to believe these were selling for $15 each and I made all four for under $5!!

Stay tuned, I’ll be sharing more versions of this type of project later this week.

Entertain Exchange

Linking today’s post with the following parties:

Monday

DIY Blog buttonITS-SO-VERY-CREATIVE-BUTTONmetmondayThe Girl Creative MakingSouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumbSumo Sweet StuffIt's a Blog Party

Tuesday

 Photobucket BWS tips button http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/getYourCraftOnResized

Wednesday

Show and Tell GreenwfmwbannerKRISTEN

whateverwed 

Thursday

 Get your craft on Thurs. giveawaysTransformation ThursdayshowoffyourstuffbuttonHookingupwithHoHthriftthursday

PhotobucketThrilling Thursday at Paisley Passions

Friday

 frugalicious fridayWeekend Bloggy Reading

 Favorite Things Friday_25fffbigbutton2

<b>Join us every Friday...</b>Get-Inspired-Button

 Saturday

weekendwrapup

 

 

58 comments:

  1. These are super cute! I posted about it on my blog with a link to your blog post and shop! http://plumbpretty.blogspot.com/2010/09/cute-halloween-craft.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look adorable. What a fantastic idea. Great tutorial too. Love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these...Keeferstylecreations@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours are so cute! So much cuter than the ones in Lowe's Creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another awesome idea! You rock! Thank you for sharing! I would love to try these!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are sooo cute! I love the glitter inside the shades. What cute candle covers!
    ~stopping by from It's So Very Cheri!~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't do much Halloween decorating anymore since my boys are long grown and gone but these are just so darned cute I might have to give it a spin. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look like they came straight from a boutique!

    I'm going to post this and your link and shop on my blog and share your wonderful idea!

    www.thechicuniquery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them! I have a Cricut, and I just got the Pumpkin Carving cartridge which has lots of great pumpkin faces on it . . . I bet I could make an entire collection of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOHHHHH!!!! I love it...I can't wait to try it for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw these in the Lowe's Creative Ideas magazine and I was planning on making them myself! I was going to draw the faces on with sharpie markers, though.

    SO SO CUTE! I'm glad you did it first so I can see how someone else's came out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it. So cute. Now my mind is working thinking of other patterns and such that I could use for other seasons of the year. Thanks for sharing.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, those are so cute! I love them! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love them! My kids will love them! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very unique and creative! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are sooooo cute! I can't wait to go buy some jars and make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I like the glitter on the inside there is so much I could do with that. I found you on Cheri's Blog linky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree--super cute!!!! And your pictures are beautiful, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So simple and SO adorable!

    Thanks for linking with WGW at Someday Crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. THis is the first time I've seen glitter used for these and I lOVE it! So cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very Cute! I love the GLITTER! Great idea, thanks for sharing!

    http://sustainablychicdesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. ADORABLE!!! If you want to join in on another Linky Party, I host Thrilling Thursdays :) Come by if you have time.

    ~Lori @ Paisley Passions
    Paisley Passions Linky Party Thrilling Thursdays

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh - you got me thinking. Last year I made xmas balls like this but used floor wax instead of modge podge to coat the inside. Am wondering if watered down modge podge would swirl and coat the inside of an xmas ball. . . . hmmmm. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  25. SUPER CUTE I am going to make these!!

    I am a new follower and would love a follow back
    http://theseareafewofmyfavoritethings-sue.blogspot.com

    im also going to grab you button love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how these turned out. Love that you used mod podge and glitter so much better than the etching compound I've seen other's use. Really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. As you'll see if you visit with me, I LOVE Halloween!!!! And these ghost tea lights are just outstanding!!! They're charming and cutesy and filled with fun. Love 'em!!

    Here is my Show n Tell link

    ReplyDelete
  28. Found you at so very Cheri's Spotlight. These are really cute and so clever! Love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. super cute! My kids would love these. I'll have to see what I can find. Visiting from Serenity Now's weekend reading!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a cute cute idea!! I love how some people can just look at an ordinary item and see potential like that. Very cool. :) Thanks for linking up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are unbelievably cute! I've seen paint on the inside before, but not glitter. You are so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing.......what a fun Halloween craft!

    ReplyDelete
  33. this is really cute and I love that you rocked it out once you saw a boutique version!!

    Boo to You!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very cute!!! And easy! I love those kind of projects.
    I love the different shapes too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How clever! I love how the different shapes give the ghosts their individual expressions :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is so stinkin' cute! I haven't seen these before. They are adorable. Thanks for sharing the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So cute! Love them! Stopping by from Amanda's!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cute project! I'm visiting from Amanda's party.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

    Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/fun-halloween-crafts/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  40. So cute. I love that glitter!! Don't you just love a good yard sale?!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Those are adorable Christy!! I shared it on my Tatertots and Jello FB page and linked to you :)

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, this idea is so cool!
    I love what you did here! & I'm going to have to try it out!

    -Kendall
    {songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are just too cute. I'll definitely have to try some myself. Thanks for a great tutorial on "how to". Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just saw this on Tatertos and Jello and HAD to leave a comment to tell you how cute and cre8tive it is! This rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are adorable! I be my 6yo would flip if we did this project together. Thanks for the idea and how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Such an original idea ! Love the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  47. those are the cutest things! love them!

    have a creative day,

    amyw.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I've been looking for just the right thing for a small hallway table and I think I found it! These are great! I can't wait to try it!

    Shannon

    festiveworks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. FABULOUS idea!! I see those all the time, I'll have to pick some up!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my gosh I LOVE!!! I couldn't figure out how you made them just by looking, thanks for sharing your secrets:) We have some kid made tissue paper pumpkins and this is such an elegant grown-up version of a candle holder craft. Now I need to search the thift stores for some. These are so beautiful all lit up and I love the ribbon tops! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Please join us next time too!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love love love how these turned out! So stinkin cute! You got craft skills girl!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Ok, I just finished making some of these, I can't wait to get the post up so you can see! Thanks for the inspiration friend! I LOVE these!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. a very fantastic idea! seems so simple...but they're simply fabulous!

    i'm linkin.

    thanks for the tutorial.

    doro.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts today! You can see it here
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/friendly-ghost-candle-shades/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails