Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Monday, December 7, 2009

DIY Ornaments

I’m joining Centsational Girl for her DIY Ornament Party today, as well as a few other parties listed at the end of this post.

A few years ago, I started seeing these personalized glass ball ornaments for sale for $10 or more each.  I knew I could make them myself for much cheaper!  Here are the ones I did a couple years ago:

DSC02438 I made several for friends and one for myself, here it is on the tree:

IMG_3534

So when my mom requested I help her make some for her co-workers I was happy to oblige so I could show you all how I made them as well. 

These make great gifts for co-workers, neighbors, and teachers because you can give a personalized gift without spending a lot of money.  Here are the supplies we used:

~Box of glass ball ornaments (usually 50% off now at Hobby Lobby or Michael’s, so you can get 6 for about $3.00)

~Cute polka dot or holiday ribbon (grosgrain works best)

~Paint pen in desired colors (use a 40% off coupon to get one for a couple bucks)

~Martha Stewart glitter (optional)

~Stick-on rhinestones (optional)

IMG_3498

Simply use your paint pen to write on the initial (or name) and give it a few minutes to dry.  You can look at some fonts on your computer to get inspired.  I just free-handed these, but you can write them on with pencil first for practice. IMG_3499

You can either leave the letters plain or go back and use the white paint pen to make little polka-dots on them.  IMG_3501Use a contrasting color paint pen to draw on polka dots.  While the paint is still wet, sprinkle on a little fine glitter if desired.

IMG_3502Once they’re dry, you can add stick-on rhinestones for extra bling if you like.  Tie on your ribbon and you’re done!  These are so cute tied onto a gift, or perhaps on a bag of holiday candy or goodies.  IMG_3505 IMG_3506Together, we made twelve ornaments and I’d say it took us about an hour or so.  And you can’t beat the cost, probably less than $1.00 per ornament!

****************

I’ve got another type of ornament for sale in my Etsy Shop now.  These handpainted wooden ornaments look great on your tree, but they’re also cute little tags to accent a gift, bottle of wine, or any area in your home that needs a little extra holiday cheer.

Click on the photo for more info and pictures.

IMG_3405IMG_3420  IMG_3444     IMG_3422 IMG_3427IMG_3433 IMG_3435 IMG_3438IMG_3447 IMG_3449

Be sure and visit all the fun linky parties for more handmade ornaments ideas and Christmas inspiration!

ornament-party

metmondaykimbaDIY125getYourCraftOnResizedREINVENTED_ADShow and tell poster copy_jpg w showoffyourstuffbutton   TTbuttonthriftthursday frugalicious friday HollyBloggy Graphic  

This post brought to you by McKenzie (R.I.P.), the Christmas reindeer

IMG_0789 

P.S. Check out the post below for a great giveaway!

32 comments:

  1. These look great! I had thought about doing a couple of monogram ornaments, but I don't trust my hand to do these. I'd probably have to use stickers or stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your stuff looks great. I love the black with the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, these are gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous ! What a steady hand and stylish taste you have ! Come on over and link up and thanks for joining the party !

    Merry Merry

    Ms. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those turned out great and you make it sound so easy. My freehand would not turn out as good as yours :-)
    Great gift idea.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous job on both the ornaments & the tags! Homemade gifts mean a lot more!...Don't you think? Stop by and see my creation this week and let me know what you think! Stop by and see my creation this week and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you did a great job on all of those ornaments!
    freehand! yay for you! I couldn't do that! :)
    love your tags, I like the be jolly by golly
    I've got some people who need that tattooed on their heads!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the tags and the ornaments!!!! Such great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christy you are so talented! I really like personalized ornaments...never can get enough. Love those tags too....

    Thanks for linking to Mi4M!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE them. They are sooo adorable. I know why your mom wanted to give some away. I think bright apple green and red is so adorable together. I would love to have you do a give-a-way on my blog sometime--you are so creative.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also wanted to let you know that I love the Cross Embellishment for Candles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those ornaments are too cute! And the tags!!!!Love "Em!! Thanks for looking! I can always count on you for great links!

    Becca @BCD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! How I love a polka dotted monogram. Now if I could just figure out how to draw the letter as well as you! :)
    thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And another round of applause! These are fabulous!Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday, sweet friend!

    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your stuff looks great! Love those polka dots, thanks for sharing.

    .....have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm off to buy some bulbs...you make it look so easy, we'll see :-)
    Happy Decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those ornaments and gift tags look great! You did a great job painting those letters on the ornaments, they look so crisp and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Heaux, Heaux, Heaux etsy offering is just the coolest ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those ornaments are so cute. I just love the red and green. I buy my Grandkids a new ornament for my tree every year. I think I'll be making these for them this year. It reminds me so much of my granddaugter.

    Merry Christmas & Hugs....Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I love the paint pens... I need to get a few for myself!

    Your ornaments turned out WONDERFUL!

    Thanks for linking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am very impressed with your free hand initialed Christmas ornaments. You must have a very steady hand...I am jealous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ball ornaments are not easy to paint, great job with the initialed ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable! Simple but very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The monogrammed ornaments are GORGEOUS!! Did you use oil based paint pens? Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO cute. I love those ornaments! And the polka dots are FABULOUS!

    SO So terrific! Thanks for linking up!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous ornaments!!! God's blessings, Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE this idea! Could you tell me what font you used for your lettering?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Erin,
    I just kind of free-handed/made-up that font. I guess it is similar to the Pottery Barn font.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found you on 24/7 Moms and I love your personalized glass ball ornaments. Love where you added the dots to the letters. Thanks for the instructions! I just signed up to follow your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails