Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

DIY Hotel Room Key Jewelry

 

I have another quick, easy, and cheap thrifty DIY transformation this week.

You may remember my sister and I made a quick shopping trip to Dallas a couple weeks ago.  Upon leaving the hotel, my sister grabbed the plastic hotel key cards and said “I’m keeping these!” I thought they would be a pretty cute souvenir.

IMG_2348

The more I looked at them, the more I thought we should do something with them….I suddenly thought they would make cute earrings! Since this would be my first attempt at making any sort of jewelry, we had to make a supply run.  We picked up some jump rings and ear wires like these:

                         

We cut the cards into various small shapes. I then used a leather punch (because it was handy and I didn’t feel like messing with the drill) to make holes in the top of the shapes. We then attached the jump rings and ear wires with needle nose pliers.  Voila!  Custom jewelry!

IMG_2384

Here’s my beautiful sis modeling one set:

IMG_2351 More photos of our completed designs:IMG_2353

IMG_2383

IMG_2382Out of the two cards, I think we ended up making at least four sets of earrings and three pendants. Now she has a unique, wearable souvenir!  The way they are printing such cool designs and photos on hotel key cards, gift cards, and credit cards these days, the possibilities are endless! 

You could take a little more time and make a bracelet like this one on Scavenging:

And check out these cute pieces for sale on Etsy (click on the photos to go to the listing):

Now you’ll think twice about leaving your hotel key behind or letting the cashier keep your redeemed gift cards!  I’m sure we all have a stash of used gift cards or expired credit cards taking up space in a drawer.  Save them from the landfill or recycle bin and turn them into wearable art!

31 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are really cute! I love ideas like these - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy,

    As always...another cute & clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really cute! I would love that pendant to have an initial on it! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..they are all great ideas..thanks for sharing this..my granddaughter will love them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun, fun! I would never have thought of such a thing. Great way to memorialize those CC's after they're cut up in an effort to get out of debt! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun project, and such cute jewelry. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and fun! You're so creative! :)
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a stash of hotel keys just like those taking up space in my "memories" file. This is a great idea for them.

    You are so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I love this! What a great idea-I'll never look at old cards the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! You are so creative!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute are those??? Very creative!

    If you get a chance, stop by my Blog for a visit and say hi! I put up a new post today of my pillow featured in Romantic Homes magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHat great colors! I love the long slim earrings. WOW! That is sooo clever and thrifty!You made some cute sets! Thanks for linking up today for Thrifty Thursday! I am so appreciative!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh - that is adorable! The credit card bracelet is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How clever and creative! I love using Etsy as inspiration -- works every time!

    Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did you cut the shapes out so neatly? Did you use punches? Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are just a creative little diva!!! I LOVE all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea! Now you've got me thinking -- mentally rummaging through drawers to find plastic bits. Thanks for sharing the Etsy links as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super creative - love the charge card ones !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great! A good reason to hold on to the charge cards!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are you serious?! That is a fantastic idea!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a clever idea!! Bravo! love all the etsy stuff you found as using cards, too - Amazing, I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trash to Treasure ... perfect! I have never seen such a colorful key card. What a clever way to reuse them. Great jewlery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great - how did you cut the cards? i've seen it on some other blog, cut with a special tool (hole puncher). just scissors?
    iris

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, I just used regular scissors to cut out the shapes. You could use a drill to punch the hole or I just used my leather punch (like these: http://www.eleathersupply.com/punches.shtml).

    Also, I cut the square shapes freehand, and traced a circle shape with a fine tip permanent marker using a tape dispenser as a template.

    Thanks for the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did you get the idea of recycling those stuff? Great one though. They're so funky cute little stuffs. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. think about all the cards you get in the mail to say you have been pre-approved and you have this plastic card and I have tons of them...loving your idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun! My kids use our gift cards and fake credit in the cash register on their play checkout stand ... maybe I'll break in! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails