Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Thursday, August 6, 2009

DIY Jewelry Organizer from Framed Mirror

 

This week’s project is one I’ve been itching to try. Last week I had the chance to make a jewelry organizer with my sister while she was in town visiting.  My sis is 17, and we all remember what it was like at that age, right?  You had to have a pair of earrings to match every outfit, and you wore a different necklace or ring everyday…..so of course she needed a place to keep all that bling!  I remembered the DIY jewelry holders that a couple bloggy friends had created, namely this one from Embellish and this one from Centsational Girl.

So we went off to an antique store to find a frame to transform.  It was my sister who spotted this mirror ($12.99) and had the great idea of keeping the mirror in the middle and having the jewelry hang around it.  We were so excited to get started we forgot to take a good “before” photo:

IMG_2331 IMG_2330

The frame was originally a dark forest green, and we spray painted it a brighter green to match her room.  Then we used sandpaper to distress it a bit.

IMG_2336She picked out some pretty scrapbook paper and layered window screen on top of it around the sides of the mirror. Here’s the after:

IMG_2332 IMG_2334 I just used a staple gun to attach the screen and the paper to the back of the wood frame, then placed the mirror and backing back in the frame. 

IMG_2338

We bent a paperclip and inserted it into the screen to hold rings, necklaces, and bracelets.  We actually spray painted some cup hooks to screw along the sides and bottom, but she decided she didn’t want to use them. Sorry for the blurry photos!

IMG_2335This project was so fun and easy, it probably took less than an hour to complete (not including drying time).  The best part about this project was getting to spend some quality time with my sis creating something fun and original that she will hang onto for a while. Once it was finished, my sister kept saying “That is soooo cool!” Glad to know she doesn’t think I am big craft geek!

I couldn’t resist making another one this week with this frame I found at the Flea Market.

Before:

IMG_2233After:

IMG_2410

IMG_2412

IMG_2414

It’s now for sale in my Etsy shop!! Next week I’ll show you how we made some cool jewelry too!  Here’s a sneak peek:

IMG_2384

*************************************

Don’t forget, today is the last day to enter my Super-Crafty Giveaway of the Century!!

*************************************

21 comments:

  1. Love them! They look awesome! Old windows are so fun! Love the bright green and pink! How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, great ideas !
    Thanks for sharing !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great ideas, Christy! Your sister seems to be a natural, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out great, love the 2nd one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved the look of these. Great job!!

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute!! I was going to ask if they were in your shop! I have been needing something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pink frame is just my style! I love both your projects! But if ya ever wanna get rid of the pink one....... I'm just sayin'!

    Thanks for linking up with me today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what great ideas! I have so much jewelry...I have a 6ft by 4ft peg board with every hole filled! lol But my litte girl would love this in her room!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are both just fantastic. The pink frame is just so pretty and girly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy squeals~well done!

    Come by and see my Pottery Barn inspired typography basket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your jewelry organizers turned out great. I have several old frames that I was going to make memo boards out of but now I think I will make a couple of them jewelry organizers. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I want one of those! I don't have a lot of jewelry, but I never wear it because it is all jumbled together in a box. This would solve that problem:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's coool~!Thanks for participating in Thrifty Thursday this week! Some great finds, my friend!
    Hugs!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    wwwlbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of these projects are fantastic! The detail on both are gorgeous! What a great reuse!

    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christy, I might just trade you one of my drum shades for one of those jewelry organizers! Or that silver dressing table! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! I have frames but now need to find a screen...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails