Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Kitchen Progress Update: Glass Tile Backsplash

I’m taking you along with us on our journey to transform our laminate countertops with the Skimstone concrete overlay system.  See STEP ONE HERESTEP TWO HERE, and STEP THREE HERE.

I’m really pleased with the way the countertops turned out.  I’ll do a more detailed review post on the Skimstone product later this week.  I still have to get everything put back together.

Now that the countertops are finished, we moved on to the backsplash.  My husband laid tile in our guest bathroom, so he was familiar with the process and we decided to install the glass tile backsplash ourselves. 

IMG_1568The main difference when tiling a wall is to use an adhesive (mastic) instead of mortar.  We used 1/16” spacers.  IMG_1567

Since our tiles were glass, we used a non-sanded grout so as not to scratch the tiles. Here are a couple in progress photos before the grout:

BEFORE

IMG_1450

AFTER

IMG_1572IMG_1574IMG_1575We just got it grouted, and let me tell you, those 1”x1” tiles are a pain to clean!! It will all be worth it in the end, because the overall effect is really stunning.   

I can’t wait to get everything cleaned up and put back together so I can do a proper Before & After post!

Sharing today’s post with:

DIY Blog buttonmetmonday

9 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very nice. A lot of work I'm sure, but well worth it. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love it! I've always loved the look of those tiny glass tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing a beautiful job. I love the glass tiles! Can't wait to see the before and after post.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh...your kitchen looks amazing! You've inspired me...now I just have to convince my husband that we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I'm contemplating back-splashes right now and I love the way this looks! I'd love it if you'd stop by my Topsy Turvy Tuesday Link party and add this makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous designer looking kitchen you have now! I'm going to go have to read about the countertops as they look stunning. Love the glass tiles you chose and you must have the patience of a saint to do all that grouting! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails