Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

French Door Transformation

My mom recently took on one of those types of projects that always make you say “Why didn’t I do that years ago?”  They have two sets of French doors in their living room that lead out to the screened-in porch.  It occurred to her one day to remove the grilles that give the glass a paned appearance.   This is a set that is in the master bedroom, since the original living room before photos came out too dark.

IMG_1134IMG_1136

As you can see, there was a grille on either side of the glass.  Google tells me that the official term for these are muntin bars.  See, you learned something from this blog today!

IMG_1135These actually screw together on either side of the glass to hold the glass into the door, so they had to remove one at a time.   IMG_1125

Then my dad used his dremel tool to remove the inside muntin bars. IMG_1126IMG_1128This was a tedious process!

IMG_1127

Then they screwed the frame back to the door.  A good bit of scraping and cleaning was involved.   IMG_1130

But the end result was totally worth it!  IMG_1138

The room looks so much bigger, bright and less cluttered!

IMG_1132BEFORE:

 IMG_1101 IMG_1134

AFTER:

IMG_1138IMG_1132

What sort of simple projects that make a big impact have you done lately?

Linking up with Metamorphosis Monday, and the DIY Showoff.

10 comments:

  1. They look great! I would have never thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. We have those "muntin bars" on our doors as well. It would be nice to take them off. I love the shades you have on the doors too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful now and it did let in more light...Thanks for sharing this idea...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was leery when I saw the title but they turned out great! I have french doors in my house and they are such a pain to clean....hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference. The entire space seems more open and welcoming. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Love how those doors turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! I love it! what a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you fill in the gaps from the missing muntins? Some type of molding putty? Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Yes, I believe they sanded the area and filled with some Spackle.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails