Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Flower Power

I know everyone has seen the cute fabric flowers popping up all over the internet.  I’ve been wanting to make some and finally got the chance last week.  I embroidered some cute little Easter t-shirts and embellished them with a ruffle across the bottom.  Of course, I totally forgot to take photos, so I’ll have to show you those later after my friend gets me some pics of her girls wearing them.  Anyway, I thought it would be cute to make some little hair bows to coordinate with the shirts using some fabric scraps.

Here’s what I came up with:IMG_0316

There are tons of blog tutorials about how to create fabric flowers, but I just kind of winged it.

IMG_0312

I did a zig-zag stitch around the raw edges to minimize any fraying, although some people prefer the frayed edges.

IMG_0315

I sewed a running stitch along one edge and pulled the bobbin thread to ruffle the fabric.

IMG_0314

Then just wound the fabric around and sewed it together by hand at the back.  I found a couple coordinating buttons in my stash and stitched them to the middle.

IMG_0313

Finally, I glued a circle of felt to the back.  I figured my friend could either attach a pin or a hair clip to the back depending on how she wanted to attach it to a larger hair bow.

IMG_0317 

Too cute, right?!  Since I used leftover fabric and felt scraps and those extra buttons you get when you buy a new shirt/pants, this was a totally free project!   They’re so quick and easy to make, I’m planning on designing some more to coordinate with some fleur de lis appliqué t-shirts I’m working on.    

Sharing with:

wfmwbannerKRISTEN  ITS-SO-VERY-THRIFTY-BUTTON thriftthursday makeitwearitbutton crafton-2 TreasureTotsButton_150x150 frugalicious fridayfffbigbutton2 weekendwrapup

11 comments:

  1. super cute! I ordered a fabric flower bouqet recently and LOVE it.

    http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=24405889

    different than yours, but you could totally do a similar concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part of making flowers like this is that you have endless possibilities for future projects. Thanks for sharing your twist on a fun craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your sweet visit!!! I am glad you liked what you saw. I am loving what I am seeing here.. with these darling jelly bean flowers... just super darling! Have a great evening. JGG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabric!! These are so pretty.

    Stopping by from Frugalicious Friday. :)

    - Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! these are super cute!!!

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life as Lori. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love the zigzag stitch around the edge too...makes it look a little different than all the others!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I can think of lots of uses for those.
    Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flowers are so cute. I love the fabric you used too!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails