Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Repost: DIY Day, Shadowbox Memories

In honor of Mardi Gras (Tuesday), I’m reposting a project I featured last fall. Enjoy!

*******************

Today’s DIY project is one I did several years ago.  While unpacking from our move, I got inspired to display some of those mementoes that had previously been packed away.

Mardi Gras has always been an important part of Louisiana culture, and it’s always fun for me to look back on photos and trinkets to remember the fun times I’ve had at Mardi Gras.  I created this shadow box to display some of the vintage doubloons and glass beads that my mother saved from the parades she went to in the sixties and seventies.  IMG_2577

Today the majority of the beads and trinkets thrown in parades are plastic ones from China, so this was a good way to preserve a piece of history.

IMG_2584 Some of these beautiful glass beads that they used to throw could still be worn with today’s fashions!IMG_2583

I hung the shadow box in the hallway along with a Mardi Gras photo collage and fleur de lis mirror.   IMG_2579 Using a shadow box is a great way to display small treasures that would have otherwise been lost in a drawer or box.  I did the same thing with some of my husband’s military coins:

All that’s needed to do this kind of project is, of course, a shadow box (I usually purchase mine at Michael’s when they are on sale or I have a coupon), some hook & loop tape (velcro) and/or straight pins, and the items you want to display.  Simply arrange the items on the provided background mount and add velcro to the backs or use straight pins to secure them.  On both of the shadow boxes I used, the background already had a fabric that the “hook” side of the velcro could adhere to.

A quick and simple project that will make you smile and reminisce every time you walk by!

****************

Posting to the following parties:

 

  Its So Very Creative

Photobucket

BWS tips button
Celebrate the Holidays copy

 

 

9 comments:

  1. I keep saying that I am going to make one of these with the stuff from our trip to Chicago, but it always get pushed to the back burner. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I might make one with things from my kids summer next year (tickets, trinkets, awards, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Thanks for sharing with us. This is eye candy for me..I love vintage items...especially those with such a cool meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some coins from when I worked from the Army that aren't displayed. Never thought to do a shadow box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea...I see those at hobby shops and can never think what to do with them. Now I know...Disney stuff! :)

    thanks for linking to Mi4M!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you please tell me where you got your fleur de lis mirror from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Blair,
    I tried to reply via email but you don't have one attached to your profile, and when I clicked on your name it said "Profile Not Available", so I hope you read this here....

    I purchased that mirror in New Orleans about 6 years ago when I lived there. I got it at Aunt Sally's Praline Shop, you could contact them to see if they still carry them perhaps. Thanks for your question!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails