Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Friday, April 23, 2010

Recycled Post: Easy Organizer Make-Overs

Originally posted 07/30/09:

This was a quick and easy DIY that took only a few minutes and a few dollars.  I found this spice rack at Goodwill for $3.99:

IMG_2076

After a coat or two of purple spray paint, it has been transformed into a fun and funky….

IMG_2140

….craft paint organizer!!

IMG_2145

IMG_2146

This turned out to be the perfect size for a great space saving solution to storing all those little bottles of craft paint that get jumbled together.  This rack ended up holding about 30 bottles of paint. Now they are all displayed neatly and I can easily pick out the needed color with just a glance! No more picking through a sea of white tops! 

Originally posted 11/01/09:

I have a quick and easy project to show you today.  I’m sure you’ve all ended up with empty plastic containers and just thrown them in the recycle bin…I accumulated a few this past week and decided to put them to better use as storage containers in my office.  I started with 2 Mr. Clean Wipes boxes, a plastic can from some icing, and a large bucket from some peanuts:

IMG_3252I cut down one of the Mr. Clean containers so I ended up with two different sizes.  You can either use fabric or pretty scrapbook or wrapping paper, I chose leftover fabric to coordinate with the curtains and chairs in our office/craft room.  Just cut the fabric/paper to fit your container:IMG_3253

I made this really easy by just ironing down the edges for a more finished look and using hot glue to attach the fabric to the container, overlapping the back a bit.  IMG_3266

And, voila!! Custom desk accessories!

IMG_3259

You can either cover exactly to your container or bring up any excess over the top to the inside.  I did it both ways, but I really don’t think it matters, once the containers are full you don’t see the inside anyway.

IMG_3269

I didn’t worry about getting the edges or back seam perfect; after all, I’m really the only person who’s going to notice, right? IMG_3267I’ll probably use the larger can to store bits of ribbon and such.  I saved the top, but it is blue so I may have to spray paint it black!IMG_3263 IMG_3264

This was such an easy project, I’ve seen it done before with soup cans, too and it really did take only minutes.  Now I don’t have to hunt in drawers or boxes for the craft supplies I used the most, such as paint brushes, scissors, markers, etc.  One more time, here’s the

BEFORE

IMG_3252

AFTER

IMG_3259 

This was a great way to recycle and re-purpose.  So think twice before throwing out those empty containers, you can use them in so many ways!  I’ll be linking to the usual parties, be sure and click on the buttons HERE to visit everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Another Friday Favorite! I have already linked up your hotel jewelry... that's my ♥ fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you used it to store paints...great idea...then you know what you have in colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of wrapping containers with fabric. I will have to remember this when I have some containers left over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the purple on the spice rack... I'm beginning to recognize it now - whenever I see that NOLA purple, I don't even have to look at the title on my blog feed reader, I KNOW who it is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your choice of design. This is really a nice eco-friendly project. I'm thinking of white and black zebra prints for mine. Thank you so much for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning, Like the paint rack and the cans, etc. to use on the desk or where ever someone needs storage. My husband is going to build me a craft room on one side to the tool barn and I know it will be a while, but I am excited, a whole big room for just me!

    He is a super guy.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails