Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My name is Christy, and I'm an addict....

....a fleur de lis addict. It's time I come face to face with the truth and confess. I realized yesterday while hanging my newest piece of fleur de lis artwork that I really and truly am addicted to all things fleur de lis. While I know it may seem cliche to some, I have a connection to fleur de lis given that I am born and bred in Louisiana. It is such a unique symbol not only for our state, but for the city of New Orleans, where I lived for several years (and still miss). I guess my addiction really began during my days as a merchandise buyer for a tourist/gift shop in NOLA. Having access to tons of fleur de lis merchandise at wholesale prices only fueled the fire! Now I know this all may seem like overkill, but I've tried to keep it subtle and spread throughout the house so you don't walk in and become overwhelmed with fleur de lis. And while I have many pieces of fleur de lis artwork and decor items, each piece is meaningful and unique. I thought I would share a few of my favorites today.

Here is my most recent accquisition, a photograph collage by M. Palmer I hung in our office. You can't really see it in the photo, but it is actually several black and white photos of New Orleans landmarks:

This print I bought at the Red River Revel last fall, from Alexander Art Studio. This is by an incredible artist who does amazing fleur de lis designs, it is a tiger face:

Another print I bought at the Red River Revel a couple years ago, displayed in our kitchen, it is a fleur de lis made up of various Louisiana icons like crawfish and hot peppers:

Two more photographs by Joshua Lee, a gift from my best friend, displayed in our dining room:


Here's a collection of my favorite fleur de lis decor items:




















My husband even made these nifty decals to hide the ugly fruit basket tiles on our backsplash:


Oh, and it doesn't stop there! I have several pieces of fleur de lis jewelry and clothing items, including a beautiful aquamarine fleur de lis ring my hubby bought me on our last trip to NOLA and a rhinestone fleur de lis baseball hat I just bought last weekend in Canton, TX. Even my dog has a fleur de lis t-shirt. I just bought several fleur de lis embellishments on Etsy yesterday to use in my crafts! Somebody stop me!!

Ok, before you start thinking, "this girl really does have a problem," wait, there's more! My husband and I just got matching fleur de lis tattoos to mark our 5th anniversary (I think that must be the equivalent of an overdose)!

Whew, it feels good to get this off my chest! Admitting that you have a problem is the first step in recovery, right?! I'm on my way to rehab right now. C'mon, I know I've got a support group out there, what's your addiction?!?

24 comments:

  1. Blue and white porcelain/china! I recently read “every southern house should have at least one piece in each room.” I think I have that covered and then some! I can’t help it…I LOVE the stuff! :) JB318

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma alum so I was immediately attracted to your fleur de lis house! I have a collected, but mine is not nearly as extensive as yours. I love what you did with the room. Looking at the dresser, I'm pretty sure I had an identical one growing up. I wonder what happened to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) um no... but i do like SOME.

    One of my dearest friends though LOVED them so i would think you are ultra bizarre... I know and love the "type".

    Thanks for sharing... TTFN ~~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there's anything wrong with being 'addicted' to something so beautiful. All the ones you show here are clever and tasteful, and they are clearly meaningful for you in your home. It would be a different story if you were addicted to, say, vintage ketchup bottles!
    Not so sure about the tattoos, but, again, at least you don't have 'Heinz' inked into your skin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collection is beautiful! As I was reading along I was thinking I can relate to this girl, but once I read tattoo and your husband got one as well. Hmmm, unless you live in Nola, you may be the first members of the newly formed FDLA. LOL!!!

    Enjoy your weekend....
    Nola (yes, that is actually my name)
    Nashville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smiled when I read the first sentence of this post, and read the text. I feel your pain...I am an addict to the quatrefoil shape! Every time I see it, I am pulled in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost bought a $2000 fleur de lis necklace in New Orleans for $400. The store was going out of business. I soooooo regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got a pretty good collection going here. I think they look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your collection! You have decorated very tasteful with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love fleur de lis
    (southern girl here and I love them)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some friends of ours got married in New Orleans (the bride was from Lousianna) and their entire wedding was decorated with fleur de lis....love your collection!

    You can view my collection here...
    http://growingourowngarden.blogspot.com/2010/02/collections-plenty.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am the exact same way about fleur de lis! I grew up in Louisiana, but since moving to Alabama five years ago, have surrounded myself with them- they remind me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. O.K. this is Ha-larious! I am glad I found your blog! I have a dear friend also named Summer who looooves fleur de lis.... She was oh so excited when the Saints won the super bowl and she has lots of Fleur de lis stuff.....
    I love them....such a pretty collection

    Happy Friday
    Summer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything especially the tile! Your husband did a great job hiding the fruit..lol You have a beautiful collection! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, great collection! I'm from New Orleans, so adore them as well. Always have.

    So nice to meet you♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE all your fleur de lis stuff!!! so classy and not overdone at all!! I want that newest print you have!!!!!!!!!!!!LOVE IT! where did you get it???? i'm in slidell and also love all things fleur de lis but haven't bought anything yet. seeing your stuff makes me want to run out and buy some. great decorating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I collect crosses, but I think I might move on to fleur de lis. I've always loved them and now that my mom has lived in LA for a while now she is always giving me them for presents! Love the tile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! Just stopping by on "show us your life" friday! Really like the Fleur De Lis!! And your blog name! How cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh I collect Fleur De Lis also. I'm a Louisiana native, living in Biloxi right now. We're getting ready to move to the midwest & so I've been stocking up on all sorts of cultural items from the south. I grew up in Slidell & absolutely love New Orleans & all that it is. I too have clothing, jewelry (more than I can wear!), wall art, kitchen decor, napkin rings, candle holders, metal/iron work, car magnets, and the list probably goes on and on! But they're so lovely!!! How can we ever stop!?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Fleur De Lis collage with pics from New Orleans. I'm from Louisiana, too. I think all Louisiana girls love the Fleur De Lis! :) Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stopping by from Kelly's Korner and LOL at the tattoos and obsession comment. Love your FDL collection tho!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your collection! I am from Oak Grove (about 50 miles east of Monroe, and I also collect fleur de lis! My husband says it looks like they threw up all over my walls! Ha! I am going to check out your Etsy shop now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all the FDLs!! I have an obsession with them too! ;0) I'm also from LA so I'm a big FDL and Saints fan... :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails