Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Fresh Start: DIY Memo Board

Well, it is a brand new year and for many that means a time to make a fresh start.  I typically don’t make New Year’s resolutions, but I know for many one goal is to get organized.  This was the case for a good friend of mine who wanted to de-clutter the front of her refrigerator.  So I knew the perfect Christmas gift for her would be a “new” memo board where she could display photos, her daughter’s artwork, and other important information. 

I had just the thrift store frame in my stash to transform:

IMG_2489

Sorry little angels, but you’ve got to go bye-bye!

IMG_2490

The first thing I did was remove the artwork from the frame and give the frame a couple coats of brown spray paint.  Then I distressed the frame a bit with some sandpaper.  No photos of those steps, but I’m sure you get the idea.

Then I purchased a piece of sheet metal from Lowe’s.  Make sure you don’t get aluminum because it’s not magnetic.  They sell pre-cut sheets, but I had to trim one with tin snips to fit my frame’s measurements.

I found some cute fabric at Hobby Lobby and just hot glued it to cover the sheet metal.

IMG_2505IMG_2504

Then I popped the whole thing back in the frame and used some small nails to hold it in.

IMG_2509IMG_2511

The finishing touch were these coordinating magnets:

IMG_2510

You can find the glass marbles at any craft or dollar store, and then modge podge scrapbook paper to the back and hot glue on a magnet.

IMG_2512

Voila! Instant organization!

Here’s another look at the

BEFORE:

IMG_2489

and AFTER:

IMG_2513

What are some of your goals for the new year?  I’ll be linking this post to the following parties:

metmondayDIY Blog button

It's a Blog Party Transformation Thursday

6 comments:

  1. I love this, Christy! The coordinating magnets were a great idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I need to make one of these for my craft room and I think I have every thing to make it!!! yeah :D

    I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

    Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVES!!!! I'm sitting here trying to figure out where I couldn hang one! I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Happy New Year & as always GEAUX TIGERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! And what a great gift. I love useful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very clever Lady, I am inspired.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Ü I ♥ how that turned out and would be such a handy thing to have around.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails