Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Favorite Fall Craft: Glittered Pumpkins

I absolutely love all things sparkly and glittered, so when I discovered Martha Stewart’s glittered pumpkin project a couple years ago, I was in love!  I made my first batch a couple years ago using small faux pumpkins.  I’m happy to report that they’ve held up well, only a couple needed a small touch-up this year.  Yesterday I pulled out my glitter pumpkin stash and decided to make some more with the pumpkins and gourds I got on clearance after Halloween last year.  Here they are spread out ready to be glittered:IMG_2822
IMG_2821
I used Martha Stewart glitter from Michael’s/Wal-Mart.  I actually got a 3-pack of the fall colors on clearance last year.  I think Martha Stewart crafts are on sale at Michael’s this week.
IMG_2823
I didn’t take any in-progress pics, but basically I followed the directions on Martha’s site and painted on glue, then poured on the glitter.  Make sure to do this over a paper plate to you can re-use any excess glitter.  Here they are all finished:
IMG_2824
I also used spray adhesive on the little pinecones and dusted them with glitter. 
IMG_2826
I have heard you can spray the finished pumpkins with clear polyurethane or sealer to prevent glitter loss, but I haven’t done that yet and really don’t think I will, just cuz I’m lazy like that. So far the glitter has stayed on really well, and since they don't get handled once displayed, I don't really worry about glitter getting everywhere.
Here they are displayed on a tray on our kitchen island, accented with some sparkly leaves and other fall bits:
IMG_2827IMG_2828
And in the living room displayed in a wire basket and with candles on a tray on the coffee table:IMG_2839IMG_2846IMG_2840IMG_2843IMG_2848
IMG_2845 I’m linking up with Cheri today for her Holiday Party.  She’s sharing some lovely painted pumpkins, so be sure and check them out, along with everyone else participating. 

I’ll also link up with Transformation Thursday over at The Shabby Chic Cottage, Trash to Treasure at Reinvented, and DIY Day over at A Soft Place to Land. While I'm at it, I'll join Julia for her "Hooked On" Party as well!
TTbutton





DIY Day @ ASPTL

Edited to join Blue Cricket's Falling For Fall Party!
Falling for Fall

Hopefully I’ll get more fall decorating done soon so I can join the DIY Showoff’s Monday Fall Festival party too.  I really want to make some faux mercury glass pumpkins next!

37 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful. Does the glitter stay on really good or is there little spots of glitter everywhere? I love the look.

    Thanks for posting to the party.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are gorgeous! It's such an elegant way to decorate for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased some glitter and was thinking about glittering some gourds ;)

    Sami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice look. Love them displayed with the candles!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pumpkins look really nice. I like the idea...just have to get past my fear of having glitter everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks gorgeous, I will have to try that:)

    Blessings,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh they all look just gorgeous. I love them. What a great idea and all of your displays are stunning. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh I did this last year and it was sooo beautiful. You display looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE these! I have some pinecones in a box that I have been looking for just the right project to use them in, and now I think I have found it!

    Thanks!
    Shawn
    http://craftychicsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I've seen this on Martha as well and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might just have to glitter me some pumpkins as well. Your are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look great! I'd do them but I have a 4 year old that has an affinity for anything glittered so I'm afraid she'd cart them off, never to be seen again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! They turned out Beautiful! I love the various color of glitter you used. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are SO pretty! I love the colors! Now I have to go to Michaels this week! lol

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are Beautiful! I love all the colors, and your display is Awesome! I need to try these, love them! I was just at Michaels tonight, I so love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. I also discovered this project last year. I extended it to Christmas by glittering styrofoam balls with the brown and copper glitter and used them as ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Oh, Oh, those are just too fabulous. I can appreciate your love of things glittery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these...gonna run to the dollar store and grab some pumpkins to try for myself. Love your blog. I scrolled through and am also gonna try the sewing machine quilt. Great idea. Thanks. Laura @ the mansion

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute, looks like I will be 'glittering' pumpkins this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've been featured-check out what I had to say about you.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that is a great tutorial. I already went to MS's site for complete instructions. Gotta tell ya, I haven't been too inspired to pull out the ole Fall decorations, but you have now gotten me in the mood!!! Thanks! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are beautiful! I wonder if I can glitter my giant pumpkin? It's well over 100 lbs. now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are beautiful! Thanks for linking up such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. So pretty. I'm glad to hear that the glitter stays on well, I'll have to give that a try! Thanks for linking up to Trash to Treasure Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty! The kiddos & I will have to try that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been thinking about doing this but just hadn't yet, those look GORGEOUS so now I'm definitely going to have to! LOVE the glitter colors, gotta love that Martha man.

    Thanks for coming by my blog, so glad you like the onesies. (:

    ReplyDelete
  27. Christy! This looks amazing. I have done some pumpkins too and even pecans...they turned out amazing. I'm lovin' the fall glitter look. Your home is beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  28. those are fabulous! I want to make some. i am linking these to somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love those sparkle pumpkins. Great DIY project for kids too.

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  30. You can never have too much glitter! I LOVE them!!! (don't you adore Martha's glitter?)

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  31. OOH ! Great idea. I can't wait to head out for some little pumpkins tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So cute! I JUST saw some of these in a store and thought to myself that I needed to make some......so Thanks a bunch for the great tute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. GORGEOUS! I made some last year, but I did black, orange & silver. I might have to add some more shades! I also didnt think about using spray adhesive, I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous!! I'm loving all your diy projects:):)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love those !Martha Stewart makes amazing craft supply's!

    Thanks for joining in on the Fall fun!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow they turned out so nice!! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails